The Australian Film Societies Federation (AFSF) helps you start and run a film society or group. The Federation provides a range of benefits which include:
- Making you eligible for significant discounts on screening rights for your films thanks to being registered as a non-profit film group.
- Providing an automatic film handling insurance to all members.
- Information about screening rights and copyright.
- How to contact an Australian film distributor for Screening Rights .
- An online presence for your film society or film group.
- A list of Australian distributors .
- A proven and strong lobbying record on behalf of our societies.
- A large collection of technical projection manuals.
- Everything else you need to know with answers just an email away.
The AFSF is currently made up of 66 member societies across Australia. The AFSF evolved out of the Federation of NSW and Associated Film Societies, an organisation which was formed to help film societies in 1947.
If you want to start a film society then please contact us and we will tell you what you need to know.
What is a Federation?
The Australian Film Societies Federation is an organisation of film groups, film clubs, and film societies dedicated to promoting the interests of all film groups, clubs and societies as well as promoting film culture, film history and film art.
This federation provides more information about starting and running a film society or group than any other organisation in Australia. We tell you what to consider when you start a film society, Including a step by step guide. This website gives you an explanation of the complicated rules covering screening rights and copyright, a list of Australian film distributors and details of The Lending Collection of the National Film and Sound Archive.
The AFSF’s Executive Committee is elected by delegates from members of the Federation every year at a Federation AGM. These experience and informed volunteers are responsible to the membership and try to be as transparent as possible.
For the latest breaking news and information that is regularly updated (and to get in touch with other film societies) please go to our Facebook Page the Australian Film Societies Live Facebook Page.