What is a Film Society or Film Club?
A film society (or a film club or film group) is a non-profit cultural organisation formed to encourage the appreciation of cinema both as an art and as a medium of information and education. A film society encourages the appreciation of cinema by showing films, discussing them and supplying its members with information about cinema.
The five criteria a film society must meet:
- You have to be a not-for-profit organisation.
- You have members and screenings are for members only.
- You do not charge for entry to single screenings at the door.
- You have an organising committee that (at a minimum) consists of a president, secretary and treasurer, along with two other committee members.
- Film screenings are held indoors where only members can see them.